Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Cuban Love Song

Before I even saw your eyes
I saw your cowboy hats
and heard sweet whispers as you
talked in your sleep -
dreaming of catastrophes -
a few seats ahead of me
on the Viñales to Havana coach.

At a truck stop I dared to dare
and found you easy conversation,
the language barrier
having nothing to do with love.

That night we watched
cathedral waves break
over the empty Malecón,
ran wild, ate alligator,
listened to street corner
son bands and searched
in earnest
for the finest mojito on Earth.

On the roof of the Saratoga Hotel,
we skinnydipped
in the midnight pool.
I turned my back and watched
the glowing city
as you climbed out
into your towel
and drank the pool dry.

Oh Ghidorah!
It is such a pity you have three heads
and have repeatedly destroyed Tokyo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home