Friday, September 13, 2019

Amour Fou [A Sonnet, Interrupted]

Last night I heard a knock upon my door
I welcomed you but you were....

Wait, let me start again.
This sonnet is BULLSHIT.
Here’s the truth:
I’ve kidnapped you.
I stole you and
nobody noticed you’d been taken.
Nobody saw you were gone.

They think you can still
walk and run and bathe and dress
but when you walk, you walk with me
when you run...
you run to me.

And when you bathe, you bathe for me
and when you dress,
your clothes sit differently
on a different body.

You’re gone. You’re here.
You’re in this poem.
This poem is a magic spell.

Abracadabra!
The vampire bat has been.
Your mirror has emptied,
your shadow has run away
to meet mine at high noon
and together
they make shadow plays
of love and life.
They leave footprints
for us to follow,
dance step diagrams
in the dust.

These days I’m only happy when
somewhere somehow
connected through
this web of words
I feel the spooky action
of your love.
I feel it when I cross your mind.

Okay, proceed with your boring sonnet
.

....of this ‘amour fou’ and how it started;
separation’s not for the faint-hearted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home