Sunday, January 24, 2021

Rubaiyat

What is that rather dusty quote
Re: what the moving finger wrote?
I think it says that time moves on,
that we cannot unsing our song
so all the things we had to say
live archived in dead yesterday.

There was a door to which I found no key
There was a veil past which I could not see
Some little talk awhile of you and me
but then our drop of water joined the sea.

Beside me in the wilderness
you arched your back at my caress
yet moved a finger of your own
to write a note which sent me home.
Perhaps to you it wasn’t weird?
A fly appeared then disappeared.

I’m paraphrasing sad old Omar’s sighs.
“A flower blooms just once before it dies.”
The cries resounding on this wailing wall?
These are but fairytales. Forget them all.
This one’s half Rubaiyat and half a song
my moving finger wrote and then moved on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home