Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Songbird

Indulge me please, this once, and let me start
by telling you these lines flow from my heart.
I know you think perhaps I do not care
so it’s high time I tried to clear the air.
I’ve worked so hard to pull you close to me.
The act of pulling seems to set me free.

Meanwhile you’re cruelly yanked this way and that.
A pussy hounded by an old tomcat.
You sigh as I insist you are my muse.
You stifle accusations of abuse.
The self-regarding crowd can’t see what’s wrong;
a songbird who no longer sings her song.

To me, the outrageous sexual tension
is oil on the flames of my invention
but I’ve ignored what I could clearly see:
that you’re not lifted by this chemistry
but rather physics pulls you to the ground.
As I go sailing up, I weigh you down.

I’m posting this for all the world to see.
I wanted to say sorry publicly
and though, songbird, my heart will remain true
this is my last romantic song to you
and as I ponder what I have done wrong
I pray the world will once more hear your song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home