Saturday, June 06, 2020

On Falling

On Falling

When you send your mother
her Mother’s Day card
nobody tuts and says,
‘Dude, you fell hard’.

When you have a child,
no-one gives you a shove
saying ‘be careful, mate,
you might fall in love’.

It’s only the moment that
romance comes calling
that friends start to offer
dark warnings of ‘falling

But I believe love
lifts our feet off the ground.
Love finds us and binds us
and helps us feel found.
Love lifts us up, breathless,
and keeps us spellbound.

Though people are bound
to be scared of what’s new,
when you and I met,
as my feelings grew,
I ignored all the warnings
for I knew what I knew:
That the deeper I ‘fell’,
the higher I flew.

This poem is goofy
but I think this is true:
I might fly, I might float
but I won’t fall for you
and, if you feel ‘fallen’,
get up off your knees.
Your heart is a bird
that must be set free.

It must fly at all costs
even from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home