Monday, May 03, 2021

The Cartographer

My mother was a mountain goat
my father was a mule.
I was born in midair, kicking,
did disastrously in school,
fucked up my mathematics,
I bombed psychology.
The one thing I excelled at:
Advanced Cartography.

Just send me up a mountain 
and I will make a map.
I won’t take an old brass compass
or any of that crap.
I’ll just follow my gut instinct 
and climb into the crags.
I calculate it all myself.
I carry my own bags.

The only thing I like to take
when I climb from A to B
is a huge headful of acid.
That’s right - potent LSD
makes paths into mandalas
so I’ll see a Gordian knot
where you would see a straight line;
I’ll sketch a Mandelbrot -
a crystalline recurrence
spinning fractally away -
as I map each kilometre
of the good old South Downs Way.

They say my maps are useless
but I’m not sure that they’re right;
they’re just not for casual ramblers
who walk in broad daylight.
My maps are made for magic:
they do not describe a place.
It’s more a way of feeling,
of experiencing grace,
for you can walk between the winds
or through the roots of trees,
see a place through foxes’ eyes,
circumnavigate a breeze.

My maps frustrate all logic.
The systematic world
has no time for speculation
that the Cosmos might be curled
tight inside the tiny seedlings
of any given tree
that maybe when we say we’re lost
we actually mean free.

So next time you go rambling
remember what I say:
you find yourself when you get lost
so throw your map away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home