Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Ode (after O’Shaughnessy)

Are we the movers and shakers
here on this flyblown patch of ground
or just a bunch of egotists and fakers
playing in an unremarked playground?
A brotherhood of mendicant rhyme-makers
weighing up the fool’s gold that we’ve found;
a garrison of garrulous piss-takers
keeping no one but our selfish selves spellbound?

The cold truth is that while we write our ditties
real labourers are building Chinese cities;
that while you penned your tedious life story
some IT guys have soaked up all the glory.
We claim one dreaming man can change the world,
a single voice can upset any crown,
but both those lies have gradually unfurled
and all we built was this absurd ghost town.

We, with all our dreaming and our singing,
ignore the fact that we are not Shakespeare
for something in our formative upbringing
means truth’s the one thing we don’t want to hear.
Instead we’ll wallow in handwringing
and pray the audience will reappear;
we keep on writing, always vaguely clinging
to the notion that a poet knows no fear.

I hope you’re moved or shaken as you read.
I even hope you’re feeling slightly blue
What is this urge of mine? This muse? This need?
The truth is that I don’t know what to do.
Tonight I feel I should perhaps concede
I cannot change the world, a crown, or you,
but tomorrow is another day indeed
and I’m sure I’m on the verge of my breakthrough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home