Thursday, February 10, 2022

To Bang a Nail

I see a nail, I bang it in.
I contemplate the daily news.
A steady hand, a jutted chin,
and when I listen to the Blues,
I only hear a strummed guitar
and some old black guy wailing.
I drive a boring family car.
How I love to bang a nail in!

But now I’ve read some poetry,
deep water is disturbed somewhere -
I watch the wind dance in a tree
and find I’m thinking of your hair
and how it dances in the breeze.
My steady hand begins to shake -
Why should I stop to look at trees?
Why does the Blues make my heart break?

And in a rose I see your face,
each passing cloud’s a ship in sail.
I find I’m staring into space.
Ah, who has time to bang a nail?
For now I find I’m writing too -
at least one poem every day.
Ignoring what I ought to do,
reality drifts far away.

It gradually occurs to me,
as all these clouds go sailing by,
I’ve lost my mind to poetry
and when I hear the Blues, I cry.
Perhaps this is the poets’ curse?
A fragile mind of grief and woe
which feeds on chaos for its verse.
I think of Plath or Lowell or Poe
whose dismal stories are so sad.
What spectres were they fighting?
Did writing poems drive them mad
or does madness drive the writing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home