Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Story

There’s a story I have to tell.

In galleries we stand alone
to watch the angels holding hands.
We finance more machine gun nests,
proclaim ourselves the self-made man.
With golden hearts in burning fields 
we talk about the gorgeous flame.
When alleycats play cards with mice,
we all pretend we’d do the same.

In blinding light toward the sun,
we search for Heaven one by one
as though our life’s a race to win
and fellowship’s a mortal sin
as every leaf shakes loose its tree
and every lonely honeybee
looks happier than you or me
but none of that is true. You see,
there’s a story I have to tell.

Your toaster says you are alone.
Your money says you are alone.
Your trainers say you are alone
but there’s a story I have to tell:
that every heart you’ve ever known
is just like yours. You’re not alone
and every hearth and every home
is somewhere you can call your own.

So let’s hold hands and try once more
to find the rose above the door.
As time unravels, we’ll ignore
the smiles of those who won’t explore
or come together; who cannot see
that I am you and you are me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home